Skip to content

Call for a Quote Today


Safeco Insurance Claims

Safeco Insurance Claims

Know what to do after a motor vehicle accident

If you’ve had a motor vehicle crash, there are steps you should take afterward to make filing a claim easier. Once you’ve ensured your safety at the scene, received any necessary medical care, and exchanged information with other parties, it’s time to contact your insurance company. They will need the following information:

  • When and where the accident occurred
  • How the accident happened
  • What types of vehicles were involved
  • If and how any vehicles or personal property were damaged
  • The contact information for people in the accident
  • If anyone was injured
  • The names of any witnesses to the crash
  • The name of the law enforcement department that responded
  • The police report number

Even if injuries are minimal or if there appears to be no property damage, it’s often wise to phone for law enforcement assistance. If you have an injury that is diagnosed later or damage to your vehicle that shows up in the future, it’s important to know who is at fault in the accident. If the police feel the accident is minor enough or if they are unable to respond, they will ask you to self-report.

Don’t forget that your state motor vehicle department may require you to report an accident within a certain window of time if there are injuries or property damage (vehicles, street signs, landscaping, etc.) over a set amount.

Understand property damage claims

If you have damage to your property from fire, storms, vandalism, or other causes covered by your homeowner’s or renter’s policy, you will file a claim just like you do after an auto accident. Be sure to tell your insurance carrier the following:

  • When and what happened
  • The address of the property in question
  • The condition of the property after damages (is it habitable?)
  • If repairs or reconstruction are needed
  • Information pertaining to police or fire departments that responded
  • Where you can be reached if you are elsewhere

Don’t try to do any repairs or cleaning yourself until you know if your insurance company needs to send someone to look at the damage. In most cases, this is what will happen prior to your claim being activated. You can take photos or videos if you like for your own records.

If the damage is extensive, you will then need to make arrangements to protect your property as best as possible, such as boarding up windows or putting a tarp over the roof. Be sure to keep all your receipts related to this and other aspects of your claim.

Easily File a Claim Online or By Phone

Fortunately, if you are insured with a Safeco Insurance policy, filing a claim will be simple and efficient. You can do it one of three ways through Safeco:

  • Via the mobile app (download from the Apple App Store or Google Play)
  • By calling 1-800-332-3226
  • Visiting online

Safeco’s customer support is available 24/7 for your convenience.

Or you can reach out to your independent insurance agents at Halligan Insurance Group. We’re happy to help you with your claim so you can get back to normal as quickly as possible.

Whether you want to purchase a new policy or file a claim, feel free to call 866-586-1525 for assistance. We specialize in insurance solutions for firefighters and EMS workers, and we’re here to make your life easier and safer.